REACTION TO FIRE
The section carries out testing to determine the contribution to fire of a fire combustible material for classification (where premises require fire prevention certification). IG Section Managers collaborate with UNI (the Italian national body for unification), the Ministry of the Interior and CEN (the European committee for standardization) for the revision and editing of new technical standards.
- Reaction to fire on furnishing and construction materials according to Ministerial Decree of 26/06/1984 (Ministry of the Interior authorisation of 21/03/1986).
- Reaction to fire of construction products according to Directive 89/106/EC.
- Reaction to fire of products and components according to the Marine Equipment Directive (MED) and the procedures specified in the IMO Resolutions (FTP Code).
- Reaction to fire on furnishing and construction materials according to standards AFNOR, BS, DIN, EN, ISO, UNI, UL, etc.
- The determination of the optical density of smoke and analysis of gas toxicity according to standards AFNOR, BS, ISO, ATS, etc.
This division also provides consultation services for clients on research and product optimisation where special reaction to fire characteristics are required.
The main activity of this section is the creation of fire conditions using a test furnace for testing products, structures or building materials/elements to establish the duration of fire resistance. The laboratory has been authorised by the Ministry of the Interior since 1986. Furthermore the section carries out testing in accordance with standards outside Europe (ASTM etc.) and in the maritime sector according to procedures specified in IMO Resolutions, i.e. the Fire Testing Procedures Code.
- Fire resistance of doors and shutter assemblies according to UNI EN 1634-1 and Ministerial Decree of 21/06/2004
- Fire resistance of doors and shutter assemblies according to UNI 9723.
- Fire resistance on construction elements and products according to Ministerial Decree of 16/02/2007 as follows:
- non load bearing walls, penetration seals, linear joints, service ducts and shafts, conveyor systems;
- load bearing walls;
- flooring, roofs, stairs and footbridges;
- false ceilings and any other horizontal, non load bearing structure;
- curtain walls, full and part configuration.
- Fire resistance on products and systems according to the Marine Equipment Directive (MED).
- Fire resistance on special elements, i.e. valves for systems, piping and ducts.
SMOKE AND HEAT EXHAUST VENTILATING SYSTEMS (SHEVS)
The SHEVS laboratory carries out fluid-dynamic testing according to UNI 9494 and EN 12101-2 and was created after the Ministerial Decree of 20 December 2001came into effect and CE marking became obligatory on 01/09/2006.
- Air flow of large products e.g. automatic mechanisms and sensors.
- Functional testing in extreme and critical environmental conditions.
- Mechanical resistance to weathering under load.
In addition, the laboratory can be used for other types of testing (on curtain walls, windows etc.) and has been planned and equipped to satisfy the new revision of the European standard (prEN 12101-2)